Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Ich Bin Ein Powerliner

Those PowerLine guys are really smart, and yesterday were very gracious in answering at least one clueless blogger's dopey e-mails. It's my opinion they have one of the top poli-blogs in the blogosphere, which is why I've put a permanent link to them on the right hand side of my blog. Read them daily, 4-5 times if possible, and you will be on top of your world's current events.

Today they discussed a Michelle Malkin column outlining how a deceased 9/11 victim was recently approved for his green card, nearly 3 1/2 years after his death. I understand her frustration with the Dept. of Homeland Security as my own experience as a regular business traveler has frustrated me numerous times. Malkin takes it one step beyond just complaining about another bureaucratic snafu. She suggests taking action by:

What can be done:
1. Contact the
chairman and members of the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Immigration, Borders, and Claims and ask them to investigate this and other information lapses outlined in the column. The e-mail address of John Hostettler, chairman of the subcommittee, is John.Hostettler@mail.house.gov. His phone number is (202) 225-4636.
2. Donate to
Windows of Hope, the charity for family members of Sept. 11 victims like Mr. Kniazev who worked in the restaurant/services industry.
3.
Drop me a line if you have a similar story to share.
4. Keep Mr. Kniazev and his family in your prayers. May he rest in peace without any more government insults to his memory. The best way to honor him would be to ensure that national embarrassments such as this do not happen again.


My own experiences are far less tragic than Mr. Kniazev, yet frustrating nonetheless. Suffice it to say that all of our airports do not follow the same security procedures. And since I'm not at the airport every day, it's safe to assume that procedures may vary day-to-day or even shift-to-shift. Is the security at LAX worse than Las Vegas? Or is someone on a powertrip at Chicago's O'Hare, hassling passengers because he's wearing a badge? I have no idea, but I do know that they aren't all on the same page.

Why we would expect any government agency to be effective, more efficient and more customer friendly than your neighborhood's Dept. of Motor Vehicles is beyond me. And that reminds me where I have to go tomorrow afternoon. Sigh.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?