Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Conflicted Thoughts on Judicial Killings

I've blogged in recent weeks on the subject of judicial activisim, calling it "one of the biggest threats to our society." I am troubled, however, by the recent killings in Atlanta and Chicago, clearly targeting judges (or their families). I think these two cases are simply examples of nutjobs gone wild, but I also think it unwise to dismiss all such killings so cavalierly.

Although violent crime may be on the decline in our society, we see senseless killing every day and obviously any murder is a profound tragedy. There is something about killing judges, though, that for some reason, strikes me as especially sinister. Killing judges also seems to be an attack on our country's foundation, the rule of law.

I must admit that my thoughts on this are not fully developed. Maybe what bothers me is that these recent cases have shown how people are targeted for simply doing their jobs. Would it be any more acceptable if someone got a sour lemonade at Hot Dog on a Stick and decided to throw the teen slacker behind the register into the fryer? Probably not, but don't get me started on telemarketers. I deplore the taking of innocent life, it matters not the victim's sex, adult or child, race, ethnicity, religious affiliation, or their profession. If we are all equal in God's eyes, then each murder is equally tragic. And clearly each murder is wrong in terms of how our legal system views them. Yet still, for some reason, the killing of judges seems like the first step down a slippery slope towards a society of fear, lawlessness, corruption, feckless enforcement, and total anarchy.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?