Monday, March 21, 2005

Diversity, Just Not Diversity of Thought

Drudge linked this nugget this morning. I reprint here an e-mail he received in case the link goes away anytime soon.

'PLAYGIRL' EDITOR FIRED AFTER OUTING SELF AS REPUBLICAN Mon Mar 21 2005 10:09:48 ET**Exclusive**

PLAYGIRL editor-in-chief Michele Zipp has been stripped of her duties after she revealed how she voted Republican in the 2004 election. Zipp, in an e-mail, claims she was fired after an onslaught of liberal backlash.

"Hello Drudge, "After your coverage of my article about coming out and voting Republican, I did receive many letters of support from fellow Republican voters, but it was not without repercussions. Criticism from the liberal left ensued. A few days after the onslaught of liberal backlash, I was released from my duties at Playgirl magazine. "After underlings expressed their disinterest of working for an outed Republican editor, I have a strong suspicion that my position was no longer valued by Playgirl executives. I also received a phone call from a leading official from Playgirl magazine, in which he stated with a laugh, "I wouldn't have hired you if I knew you were a Republican."I just wanted to let you know of the fear the liberal
left has about a woman with power possessing Republican views
."

It got me to thinking about how much our friends on the Left drone on about "diversity." What exactly does diversity mean to them? Usually the word is paraded out to show how enlightened they are.

See? We're the compassionate party, we accept Lepers! Ex-cons! Asians! Retards! Blacks! Women! Gays and lesbians! Disabled persons! Vegans? Sure, bring 'em on! Homeless people! Star Trek geeks! Philanderers! Have we forgotten anyone? Oh yeah, even the occasional white male! (as long as they don't exceed their quota). We're a big tent, unlike some other political party.

A big tent open to everyone, it seems, except conservatives, or anyone who has ever voted Republican. Liberals won't have any of them. That would be dangerous. Ask old-school Democrat Zell Miller. Or center-left Joe Lieberman, who will likely face a challenger in the next Connecticut democratic Senate primary, since some left wingnuts think Lieberman isn't liberal enough. I wonder how long it will be before a lawsuit is filed by someone who wasn't hired for a job as a result of their political beliefs. Isn't that a form of discrimination? Maybe Michele Zipp has a case.

The Democratic Party will never be able to woo red-state converts if it actively pursues policies of hate. When Howard Dean says "I hate Republicans and everything they stand for" who exactly does he think will read that and say, "Gosh, I know he's talking about me, but I need to rethink my political philosophy and join up with the people who hate me"? How does the suppression of ideas lead to healthy and diverse thought? It all seems terribly immature to me, and certainly not a recipe for future electoral success. Dean once again planted his foot firmly in his mouth yesterday when he called Republicans "brain dead." Way to go, Howard, your timing couldn't be better. Nice rhetoric to use during the struggle to keep brain damaged Terri Schiavo alive.

As for my own anecdotal evidence, Mrs. Three Cents and I recently had an old friend over for dinner at Casa Three Cent. After a nice meal and a couple bottles of wine, our liberal friend commented that she's been reading M3C and she had no idea how conservative my political beliefs were before she read the blog. She then said, "It's like you're deranged."

Yes, it seems like it sometimes. Heh.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?